In the first half of the 19th century the northern end of Chatsworth Rd (then called Penn Lane) formed part of the grounds of the Friends' School. A typhoid outbreak was one of the factors leading to the school moving to Saffron Walden. The Society of Friends were also upset by the gradual encroachment of Croydon on their rural idyll. After they moved, Barclay Rd and the northern end of Chatworth Rd were sold off for building.
At the southern end, the breakup of the grounds of Grove House led to the selling off of Mulgrave and Woodstock Roads. It is clear from one advert that builders would construct big houses, tenant them (£50 per annum in 1889) and then sell the leaseholds and the freeholds. Others were sold to owner occupiers. The houses were sold as convenient for East and New Croydon stations. (New Croydon station now forms platforms 1 and 2 at East Croydon). An analysis Lynne conducted from the 1911 census showed that Mulgrave Road residents were middle class professionals.
There were always some boarding schools in this area and what had been Grove House was a busy social centre.